Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident is not a fun or easy experience. When accidents create physical, emotional, and/or financial setbacks, you have the right to hold at-fault parties responsible. However, the actions you take after being in a traffic collision can impact your future personal injury claim and your ability to recover the financial compensation you need to cover your damages.
Below we list a few key points to remember after you have been involved in any type of auto accident. Remembering these things can help protect your health and the strength of your future injury claim, should you choose to file one.
- Exchange info – After any type of collision, it is crucial that you exchange information with all parties involved, including witnesses if applicable. Make it a point to get the other driver’s contact information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and insurance information.
- Seek timely medical treatment – As Atlanta car accident attorneys, we cannot stress enough the importance of seeking medical attention after a crash – whether this is an emergency treatment or medical evaluations for any pain you may feel. Many people involved in crashes feel as though they will get over the pain, or that they don’t need to see a doctor. Not only can this prove costly to your health and well-being, it can also jeopardize your claim – insurance companies will use a lack of timely treatment to say you were not hurt or in pain, even if you were all along.
- Get a police report – Law enforcement officers can take an objective record of what happened during a crash, collect statements from involved parties and witnesses, and provide documentation you can use later on during the claim process. When discussing the accident with police or anyone else, remember to never admit fault. Leave that up to your attorney.
- Trusting the insurance company – After you’ve been hurt in a crash caused by another driver, their insurance company may attempt to reach out to you. Be warned that insurance companies care only about their bottom line and that they will often do anything to avoid paying victims or pay them as little as possible. Don’t discuss your case, don’t be too quick to accept a low-ball settlement offer, and get a proven lawyer to speak with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Waiting too long to file a claim – It is always best to contact a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. Not only will this ensure all the facts and documents are fresh, but also that you don’t risk hitting the statute of limitations. You only have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit after an accident, so you should always take immediate action.
What you do and say after a crash can impact your future. To ensure you take the correct steps, regardless of what has already transpired, you should reach out to a proven Atlanta car accident lawyer from Schneider Hammers. Our Atlanta car accident attorneys have decades of combined experienced helping auto accident victims – and we have recovered millions of dollars in compensation on their behalves.
To learn more about your rights after an accident, contact us for a FREE case review.